Dore Primary School is proud to be assessed as a CHAMPION Music School by The Sheffield Music Hub.
We CHAMPION Music!
At Dore Primary School, it is our intention that children gain a firm understanding of what music is through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing and composing across a wide range of historical periods, traditions and musical genres. Our objective is to develop a curiosity for the subject, as well as an understanding and acceptance of the importance of all types of music, and an unbiased respect for the role that music plays in any person’s life.
We are committed to ensuring children understand the value and importance of music in the wider world, and are able to use their musical skills and experience to involve themselves in projects and opportunities, at school and beyond. Our music curriculum ensures students sing, listen, play, perform and evaluate. We want to give all children the opportunity to sing, perform and to learn a range of musical instruments whilst at primary school. We aim to instil confidence in all our musical performers and provide opportunities for our high-attaining singers and performers to celebrate their achievements.
The music curriculum is embedded in classroom activities as well as the weekly singing assembly and regular concerts and performances. The elements of music are taught in the classroom so that children are able to use the language of music and understand how it is made, played and appreciated. In the classroom, children learn how to play percussion and tuned instruments. They also learn how to compose, focusing on the different dimensions of music.
MUSIC – INTENT, IMPLEMENTATION AND IMPACT STATEMENT:
- Y3H Violin performanceOn Thursday 13th July 2023 the Year 2s and other Year 3 class were treated to an amzing violin performance y the children of Y3H Norway. The put into practice all they had learnt with Mrs Bell, not just violin but singing and working as an ensemble. We can’t share the videos on the public … Read more
- Musical Soiree at Dore Primary SchoolOur talented musicians and singers had their moment in the spotlight this week at the Dore Primary Musical Soiree. The performers contributed to a wonderful evening of music and song – it was a truly memorable and inspirational experience! We hope this is the start of a new yearly tradition and that even more of … Read more
- Y6 – Computing – micro:bitIn Computing this half term, Year 6 have been learning to use the micro:bit. This small but powerful circuit board is packed full of interesting hardware and computational power. So far, children have explored the basic inputs (e.g. buttons, movement) and outputs (e.g. LED lights) and have experimented with adding external components such as a … Read more
- Whole School – On the Last Day Before Christmas…… my true love sent to me a fantastic whole-school assembly! Every child (and adult) in school came together in the junior hall to enjoy and join in with performances from the Junior Choir and the Y2 Nativity. This lovely event was completed with a full rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas, with each … Read more
- Y5 Music Learning – GlockenspielsOver the past few weeks, Y5 have had an opportunity to develop their music learning by mastering glockenspiels. They learnt to play the Abba classic “Mamma Mia” and sing along to the lyrics at the same time. They showcased their learning for the whole school at Y5 Celebration Assembly and impressed staff and pupils alike … Read more