As part of our Ancient Egypt and Mists of Time Learning Journeys we have been think about how humans evovled in Africa and spread around the world. Last lesson, we considered, if in fact we were all Africans?
Today we moved on to thinking why the Black Lives Matter movement started and why it was needed.
The children did brilliantly to understand these tricky and complex issues. Their understanding of rights definitely helped.
They came up with the following questions:
- Why does skin colour matter?
- Why are black people treated differently in the first place?
- Why are black people treated unfairly?
- Why can’t everyone be treated the same?
- If we are all homo-sapiens why do black and whitle lives matter differently?
The children quickly agreed that discrimination is wrong but moved on the more philosophical questions of why it still takes place. Unfortunately, we didn’t have any quick solutions. But if these children go on to be the police officers, business leaders and politicians of the future, the world is going to be a better place!