For information regarding our spending of the PE and Sport Premium, follow this link: PE and Sports Report.
In 2019 we maintained the Sainsbury’s School Games PLATINUM Kitemark, in recognition of the school’s commitment to PE and sport. To be eligible for this award, schools have to have achieved the GOLD Kitemark for 5 consecutive years, which we have successfully done (Platinum Award).
Our school is fortunate to have magnificent grounds and 2 good size halls in which to enjoy our PE and sport, which is a strength of the school, both as part of the curriculum and in extended learning opportunities. The children have many opportunities to learn new physical skills and games and to take part in sports festivals and also competitive sports. The school competes regularly in cross country, athletics in winter and summer, football, cricket, gymnastics, badminton, hockey, basketball, bouldering, dodgeball, swimming and orienteering.
We have a broad PE curriculum, with an emphasis on developing: motor skills and coordination; teamwork and cooperation; competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. Children are encouraged to develop their health and fitness and gain a life-long love of many forms of physical exercise. Two hours of curriculum time are dedicated to PE lessons each week across all year groups. These lessons cover aspects of athletics, dance, gymnastics, and team games. Children take part in many outdoor and adventurous activities whilst at Dore, both in PE lessons and during special events and residentials.
Children in Y4 have swimming lessons booked through Sheffield LA. Each class travels to the pool by coach for their lessons. The children are grouped according to swimming ability. Dore staff support trained swimming teachers and the children work towards the National Curriculum expectations for swimming and then beyond to develop further swimming skills and water safety practice and understanding. The children have the opportunity to gain the ASA Water Skills Level Award and also at the end of the programme can show their skills in a long distance swim to gain a distance award. Information about the Y6 swimming results can be found in: PE and Sports Report.
Our children are able to take part in great many different sporting events each year. Many of these are hosted by the Forge School Games Organisers; some by the Sheffield Federation for School Sports. Many of these competitions form part of the School Games programme. In recent years we have been Y5 Girls’ and Y5 Boys’ Sheffield Kwik Cricket Champions and Yorkshire finalists several times; had children compete in the national finals of orienteering, trampolining, squash and biathlon; and had many children play at county level in badminton, swimming, cricket and basketball. During their time at Dore Primary, EVERY child is given the opportunity to represent the school in at least one sporting competition, should they wish to. Almost every child chooses to take up this opportunity.
The Wileman Cup, named after a legendary former headteacher, is our annual intra-school football competition. It has been running for well over 30 years. Boys and Girls from Y4-Y6 are mixed into teams named after local roads, and play two mini-leagues during lunchtimes. The top two teams from each league then go on to play semi-finals. The event culminates with a cup final, watched by the whole school.
School Sports Day
Our first whole-school Sports Day was In 2012, when we hosted the ‘Dorelympics‘, linking with the London Olympics. In 2013 the theme was a ‘Steel City Games ‘, coinciding with 100 years of stainless steel in Sheffield. 2014’s theme was ‘Le Dore Depart‘, as the Tour de France was passing through Sheffield. Summer 2015 saw the ‘Team Dore Games‘, in honour of retiring headteacher Mrs Hopkinson. In 2016 we held another ‘Dorelympics: Rio 2016‘ , in 2017 the theme was ‘Made in Sheffield’, with zones named after famous Sheffield sportspeople. 2018 saw the ‘Stronger Together ‘ Games, and 2019 celebrated ‘Sheffield:The Outdoor City‘. No whole-school events were possible in 2020 or 2021, but in 2022 we were back and linked Sports Day with the ‘Queen’s Platinum Jubilee’.
These days are inclusive, multi-sport events, where children take part in every activity on offer. Activities normally include, dance, athletics – throwing, jumping and running, orienteering, ball sports, team-building and problem solving. Children are split into teams, and have coloured t shirts to denote which team they belong to. Y5 & Y6 children lead many of the activities, and older children are encouraged to help younger members of their team. We have an opening and closing ceremony, and the sight of 450+ children wearing bright shirts, parading and taking part in sport, all at the same time, is quite a spectacle.
PE and Sports News:
- Y4 South Yorkshire School Games Sports Showcase15 of our Y4 children had the absolute privilege of representing Sheffield at the very first South Yorkshire School Games Sports Showcase. Held at the English Institute of Sport, along with many other competitions in the first South Yorkshire Finals event of the year, we were able to take part in 10 ‘less common’ sports. […]
- Y3 Squash at AbbeydaleY3GD went to Abbeydale Sports centre for our first squash session…we loved it! We paid for these sessions out of our PE and Sport Premium funding.
- Pre-School Spring 2 Week 4In the hall we were practising lots of skills – throwing snowballs through hoops, jumping off apparatus, climbing along ladders and rolling on the mats. We’ve also been exploring insects, drawing and creating amazing train tracks!
- Y6 Girls FootballJust before the snow came(!), we entered two teams of Y6 girls into a 7-a-side competitions at St George’s Park, Graves. Both teams performed admirably, working well together to play some lovely football and scores some great goals. It was fantastic to see the development during the morning – both in terms of confidence and […]
- Y6 Netball TournamentThe Y6 Netball team have taken part in their first tournament at Concord Sports Centre. The Y6’s were playing against schools from across Sheffield. The team made it through to the semi-finals and came third overall. The team were definitely a credit to our school both in terms of their netball ability but also the […]
- Y5 PE – VolleyballY5 have been learning a new sport this half-term. They have been mastering the techniques and skills needed to play volleyball, including: the dig, the set and then slam! The children really enjoyed this fresh challenge and have ended their learning playing competitive matches against each other. The standard of play was good – considering […]
- Y5/6 Bouldering Team Qualifying SessionOur Y5/6 Bouldering Team had their qualifying session today to see if Dore will be able to take a place amongst the elite climbing schools in Sheffield at the Sheffield Bouldering Championships. The children attempted eight routes (problems) that made up the primary qualification course. The standard of climbing was really high with some of […]
- Pre-School Spring 1 Week 5 -10 on the sledThis week we have read the lovely story of 10 on a sled. The children loved counting all of the animals as they fell off the sled. We went in the hall and made our own sledge and snowy hills to slide down. They enjoyed moving like the different animals and practising their throwing and […]
- Year 6 Sports Hall AthleticsHaving already won their two previous heats in style, the Year 6 athletics team came a very respectable fifth place in the city finals today. The children competed with grace and humility throughout the competition and to place in the top five primary schools in Sheffield is a massive achievement!
- Y4 Winter WalkTo end an excellent first term in Y4, we spent our penultimate day before the Christmas holiday undertaking a 10 kilometre walk from school, up to Totley Moss and Blacka Moor, then back to school. As you can see, the views were amazing as the sky was crystal clear, and we kept warm all day […]
- Reindeer RunAs part of our commitment to promoting physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle, our wonderful Year 6s organised the inaugural Dore Primary School Reindeer Run. Children from across the juniors took part, completing a fun run around the school grounds. The course was well-marshalled by our Year 6s and participants were encouraged to […]
- Year 4 – Hot Shot Basketball Champions!A massive congratulations to the Year 4 Basketball team who won the recent Hotshots competition! After a series of competative groups stage games, we got through to the semi-final. And just managed to beat Bradway 4-2. That meant we were inthe final with Athelstan! It ended 4-4 at the end of normal time. So next […]
- Schools Cross-Country – Weeks 2 and 3The last two weekends have seen growing numbers of children participating in the cross country events. Again we’ve had some great performances individually, with several children finishing in the first 20 in their respective age groups. The team event is also going very well, with all teams with at least 4 children competing having combined […]
- Being Detectives and Working TogetherIn Science this week the children became detectives and had to use their observational skills to figure out which type of animal we are going to be learning about over the coming weeks. There were lots of clues to investigate – I wonder if any of the children can tell their grown ups which animal […]
- The Wileman Cup Final 2022Our intra-school football competition culminated with a brilliant final between AFC Kerwin and Furniss Rovers. With the whole school watching on,every child had a great game, doing themselves and their teams proud. Furniss ran out 5-3 winners. This event would not be possible without the fantastic Y6 captains, who help to organise and referee every […]
- Y5 Castleton Residential – WednesdayWednesday was walk day. The air was cooler, but the skies were still clear. As you can see from the photos, the views from Mam Tor were amazing. The walk also took in Peveril Castle, as part of our ‘Who Do We Think We Are? The Normans’ learning journey.
- Y5 Castleton Residential – TuesdayOn Tuesday morning, while some children went for a stroll and a paddle down Miller’s Dale, others completed the High Ropes challenges and obstacle course on site. In the afternoon some groups went caving, while others did the High Ropes then had a dip in the pond! Tuesday finished off with a toasted marshmallow around […]
- Y5 Castleton Residential – MondayAlthough it has been a hot couple of days (!), Y5 have spent their time in the relative calm, and slightly cooler air of Castleton and the surrounding area. The dorms have been lovely and cool, and activities have been adapted and amended to ensure that everyone has had a good supply of water, whilst […]
- Cricket – Yorkshire FinalsIt’s been a great week of cricket for Dore Primary School with both the Y6 boys and Y6 girls teams competing in the county finals to be crowned the best cricketing school in all of Yorkshire (and by logical extension, (the best in the country). All the children who took part were a credit to […]
- Colour Smash Run 2022To celebrate the 10 year anniveasary of the London Olympics and it’s legacy in the UK, we took 40 Year 3 and 4s to a Colour Smash Run event at the Olympic Park. The Pictures peak for themselves I think: Before After It was a lot of fun., The children really made the most of […]